“Sweetie, do you know how to tell time?” “Yeah, the iPad app shows me how!”
“OK Mommy can you stop talking now. Because I can’t hear the Mickey Mouse Clubhouse Song on my iPad.”
I had this absurd conversation with my four and five-year-old daughters one weekend, while they were playing an episode of the Mickey Mouse Clubhouse on their iPad mini.
Now I am all for the occasional iPad use for educational purposes. I have even been known to let my girls use it for a few quiet minutes while I manage to do a few things around the house.
But I started to fear that they were moving from being recreational users to being downright addicts. And even more horrified to realize that I was their dealer.
If your children are showing any of these signs you might want to look into Apple rehab for you and your family:
10 Ways to Find Out if Your Kid Is Addicted to the iPad
1. When they wake up in the morning they immediately ask for the iPad first thing instead of saying good morning.
2. When asked to clean up their mess, they tell you there is an app for that.
[clickToTweet tweet=”Kids and moms wish there was an app for cleaning up messes!” quote=”Kids and moms wish there was an app for cleaning up messes!” theme=”style1″]
3. At meal times, they text you their food order.
4. They make The Price Is Right contestants look inferior as they can bargain with the best of them to get to use the device during the day.
5. They mistake Siri’s advice for mom or dad imparting some words of wisdom upon them.
6. Your phone’s photo storage is completely full with pictures of Barbie’s fashions, Easy Bake cupcake creations, and crazy kid selfies.
7. When you take the iPad away from them they go through a metamorphosis similar to when Bruce Banner changed into The Incredible Hulk.
8. You find your kid stroking their iPad and calling it their “Precious,” not unlike Gollum from The Lord of the Ring’s does.
[clickToTweet tweet=”What do the mobile devices for kids and Lord of the Rings have in common?” quote=”What do the mobile devices for kids and Lord of the Rings have in common?” theme=”style1″]