Why is that every year the holiday season (especially Christmas) makes many people (like my family) just crazy and obsessive? I mean it is October and just about two months to Christmas Day and already we got our first text messages last night from my brother-in-law and then sister-in-law this morning about where we are celebrating this year and what/who we are buying for. Seriously, we still have to get through Halloween, Thanksgiving and my daughter’s second birthday on Black Friday, but we already worrying about this.
Why?? Because everyone truly has an opinion on this holiday even in the early planning stages. When did it become less about celebrating with family and being a joyous holiday than who can outdo who and drive the masses just that much more crazy while we are it it too? Is it awful to say that I truly don’t care where we celebrate and wish we didn’t have to at all at this point?
I remember being a child maybe just a bit older than my own kids and loving this holiday. Also, remember counting down the days and looking forward to this day. Now I wish I could just get rid of the whole damn month of December and forget the holiday season exists. I am not an anxious person, but this time of the year brings out that part of me that hibernates the whole rest of the year, more anxious could I not be right now, and again October isn’t even over.
Now I get why my mom hated this time of year too when we were growing up. This is so not a mom holiday, but then again when do we actually get a day? Mother’s Day, well even that day isn’t really a day off to relax by any means, but I did digress on that and return to the current holiday at hand.
Now, here is a list of what drives me mad during this ‘supposed joyous time’ of the year:
- Shopping: If you read my issues with the dreaded Christmas list, then you know where I am going with this one. I have way too many people to shop for including my own two kids, who no joke every time a new toy gets advertised on TV tell me, “I want that!” That said, my list grows by the day and loathe it so!!
- Decorating: We have a small house with only 2 bedrooms and our dining room literally is our kids playroom right now. So, excuse me for saying that I don’t care about putting up a huge Christmas tree and all the trimmings that is more in our way that beautifying my home. I kid you not last year the tree and the decorations were packed back up before New Year’s Eve., because I just couldn’t handle the chaos anymore.
- Cooking/Baking: Normally, I love to do both, but not when everything has to be done just so and there is a lovely deadline hanging over your head for this and just about everything else, too. There are truly not enough hours in the day and this only adds to my stress level.
- Christmas Cards: Same can be said about Christmas Cards. Getting these cards written, addressed, postage paid/put on and sent out is enough to send me stark raving mad. It all falls on me, because Kevin doesn’t get the holiday Christmas card. In fact he doesn’t understand cards period, so if it were up to him they wouldn’t be sent ever!
- Holiday Pictures: Every year, we take the kids to get professional pictures done so that we will have pictures documented for each year. We figure they can see how they have changed over the years, plus we get a family portrait done too at this time. Getting the kids to wait even when you have an appointment for a month is truly pure hell. Then, once we are getting pictures done, trying to keep everyone happy and smiling to at least get a few good pictures is like an unobtainable goal or winning the lottery. I mean you know it exists and have heard rumors of it, but haven’t ever actually seen or witnessed it in your own lifetime.
- Christmas Music: If I hear one more song that sings about this holiday two months before the actual date, I think I may very well blow my brains out. Come on, you know what I mean. Seriously, I love Christmas songs just as much as the next person, but a few days before or even a week or two out is acceptable, but if Thanksgiving hasn’t occurred yet, then it should be a law that this music not be played.
- Wrapping Presents: Correct me if I am wrong, but I truly don’t see the point, when my kids are going to rip this paper off into shreds in about 30 seconds. And the mess that needs to be cleaned up after is just enough to send me into fits of rage. Bad enough I have to clean all year long, but now I get to clean up on Christmas, too!
I am truly sorry if I sound like the Grinch Who Stole Christmas or better yet Scrooge here, but seriously Christmas for mothers is just about as much fun as a trip to the dentist. Sadly sometimes, the dentist just happens to be quicker and less painful. For those who don’t agree, Merry Almost Christmas!!!
Now watch Chevy Chase have a meltdown and rant in National Lampoon’s Christmas Vacation, because nobody does a Christmas meltdown better:
[amazon_mp3_clips widget_type=”Bestsellers” width=”250″ height=”250″ title=”” market_place=”US” shuffle_tracks=”True” max_results=”” browse_node=”” /]