- to use an old family picture from last Christmas (which is outdated at best) or;
- use some candid shot of us that is rare at best, because not many times do I get in the photo as much of the time I am taking the photos.
Finding a professional for family portraits is important for a number of reasons. First of all, candid shots are usually missing at least one member of the family. Most of the time, one or both parents are behind the camera, and are therefore missing from the preserved memory. With professional portraits, all members of the family are represented. Plus, professional photos provide families with the opportunity to look their best and display their unique dynamics, personalities and more.
When to Have Portraits Made
Basically, any time is a good time to have portraits made. As a rule, it’s a good idea to have pictures taken at least once a year, and this is especially true for families with babies and young children. Kids grow astonishingly fast, so waiting too long between portrait sittings can mean a lot of missed opportunities to create timeless keepsakes for your family. In addition to yearly family portraits, events like the following are great opportunities for professional photos:
- A new addition to the family. Having a new baby in the family is an extremely joyous occasion, one you’ll want to preserve forever in the form of professional family photos.
- Holidays. Annual photos are great to send out with Christmas cards and holiday greetings. Go for a traditional holiday look, or mix it up with silly sweaters or other quirky ideas.
- Family events. Weddings, engagements, anniversaries, birthdays and other family occasions are all great opportunities to have family portraits made.
How to Prepare for Your Family Portraits
When it comes to preparing for portraits, it’s important to understand your options regarding factors like setting, location, theme, etc. For example, do you prefer casual photos, or are you going for a more formal look? Are you planning on a silly photo shoot, or would you rather your portraits be more serious in nature? Indoor or outdoor? At your home, in the studio or on-location?
The options, as they say, are limitless. Be sure to talk to your photographer about any ideas you may have, as communication is key to great photos. If you’re unsure about the kind of photos you’d like to have made, consider unique ideas like the following:
- Professional “candid” shots. Instead of sitting stiffly and smiling at the camera, consider a natural setting (like your home or a park) in which a photographer snaps candid shots of your family.
- Reflect your interests. Does your family love baseball? Consider a ballpark photo shoot. Are you a family of readers? Think about having portraits made in a study or library. You get the idea.
- Pictures within pictures. This is a great way to include family members who are either no longer with us or were unable to make it to the photo session. It can also be cute for parents to hold photos of children, or vice versa.
Now that you know the importance of family portraits, don’t waste any more time! Book a session today, and enjoy those memories for years to come.
Affiliate Spotlight-Stella & Dot New Spring Arrivals:
Spring is in the air… can you feel it? The days are getting longer, the birds are singing louder and the air just a smidge warmer. It is hard to contain the excitement, and Stella & Dot is happy to help you celebrate. Take a look at these new spring arrivals ! The Stella & Dot Rory Necklace – Blue is the same delicate blue as a robin’s egg and looks so perfect with a scoop neck tee. The matching Stella & Dot Sardinia Bracelet – Blue and the Stella & Dot Aviva Chandeliers bring to mind a lively mix of sweet spring blossoms. Check out all of the Stella & Dot new spring arrivals and get ready to bloom!
Please Visit my Sponsor of The Month:
One Click Is All It Takes!!