Moms, you know those moments when you have tried everything and nothing seems to work with young school aged kids.
It is only 9 am and it just feels like it is 9 pm from all the early morning stress. All you want to do is crawl back into bed to put the covers over your head and stay there for the rest of the day as ridiculous as it may sound.
And then your kid says or does something to remind why you became a mom making the insane, ridiculous moments be all but forgotten.
Here are some of those precious moments that for moms (like myself) make all the ridiculous craziness worth it not wanting to trade in minute of it in:
1. First thing in the morning when your kid gives you that million dollar smile telling you that you are tucking them in again when bedtime hits tonight. Even though you aren’t a morning person and truly dreaming of bedtime only moments after being awake this still fills your heart with all the fanfare that it comes with being mom.
2. Extra kisses and hugs right before they ascend the bus steps for the school day. Even as you are waving goodbye excited at the opportunity of hours on an end of peace and quiet, you still can’t help but want to hold on for a couple of extra seconds to those small arms wrapped around your waist.
3. Running towards you first thing after the bus drops them off from school to impart more hugs that are so tight you can actually feel how much they missed you for those 6+ hours. Again, even though quiet time has most definitely ended for another day, the first few moments that you lay eyes on your child after the daily time apart feels like heaven.
4. Even after misbehaving, mouthing off and most certainly once the dust settles to be told that you are still the most beautiful creature they laid eyes or how your hair, eyes or other features are the prettiest they have seen. Even if they are trying to suck up or get out of a punishment, you can’t help, but secretly love being on the receiving end of their praise.
5. Breathing a sigh of relief that the long day is finally almost over and while reading a book together before bed having them snuggle into your arms reminding you of a time when they were able to be cradled by those same arms.
6. Even after all the excuses of why it isn’t quite bedtime yet, such as needing another glass of water, they are missing their prized stuffed animal or even for another hug, you are still the one they want and keep coming back to time after time.
7. Jumping out of a deep sleep to have a scared child calling your name after a bad dream knowing that you will most likely lose some sleep tonight and yet once those little arms are around your neck whispering that they love you, all you want to do is stay here in this moment forever.
Again, as ridiculous as many of the minutes, hours and days of motherhood might be, still all of the above and more makes it most definitely all worth it to be a mom.
This post was written for the One Word Blog Linkup that is hosted by Lisa of The Golden Spoons (who is off this week on vacation), Marcia of Blogitudes and yours truly, too.
The words for this week are: Ridiculous or Forgotten; Please feel free to linkup and join us this week.
[inlinkz_linkup id=517622 mode=1]
*A version of this article is published with permission on the Huffington Post Parents.