*This shop has been compensated by Collective Bias, Inc. and its advertiser. All opinions are mine alone. #IndulgenceDoneRight #CollectiveBias
Around this time every year, I begin to gear up for cooking baking and more for the upcoming holidays.
I have a few cookie recipes that have become tried and true favorites here. These include meringue cookies, Peppermint Thumbprint Cookies and a few more, as well. Last year, I tried a new shortbread cookie recipe, too.
This year, I still will be making those favorites. But I also thought I would try something a bit different. I am still staying with the shortbread cookie theme. But instead of making them single and flat, I decided to make sandwich cookies with them. Plus, I am adding a peppermint buttercream filling that is just perfect for the holiday peppermint season.
So on a recent Walmart shopping trip, I picked up ingredients to make this new updated recipe for shortbread cookies, including and introducing new Land O Lakes® Buttercream Style Half & Half to make the buttercream icing filling. See Land O Lakes® Buttercream Style Half & Half is an extra rich blend of real milk and cream for the perfect morning coffee and so much more. Plus, it is extra indulgent with real milk and cream. And it is the way Half & Half should be.
Therefore, I couldn’t resist trying Land O Lakes® Buttercream Style Half & Half to make the perfect filling for my holiday induced peppermint shortbread sandwich cookies.
Do you want to try these Peppermint Shortbread Buttercream Sandwich Cookies?
Then check out the recipe below:
[clickToTweet tweet=”Try our heavenly Peppermint Shortbread Buttercream Cookies for holidays #IndulgenceDoneRight #ad” quote=”Try our heavenly Peppermint Shortbread Buttercream Cookies for holidays #IndulgenceDoneRight #ad” theme=”style1″]
Holiday Peppermint Buttercream Shortbread Sandwich Cookies
For the Cookies:
- 8 ounces butter, softened
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract, I used clear
- 1/2 cup icing, confectioners' sugar, sifted
- 1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
- 1/2 cup cornstarch
For the Buttercream:
- 1/2 tsp peppermint extract
- 2 drops of red food coloring
- 1/2 cup 1 stick butter, room temperature
- 1 tbsp Land O Lakes® Buttercream Style Half & Half
- 3 1/2 cups sifted powdered sugar, divided
To make the Cookies:
- Preheat oven to 325F.
- Line baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Into a bowl, sift together the all purpose flour and the cornstarch/cornflour.
- Beat butter, extract and confectioners' sugar with an electric mixer until light and fluffy.
- On lowest speed, add flour mixture in two batches.
- Divide dough in half. Roll out one at a time onto a lightly floured surface to 1/2". Using a small round cookie cutter, cut out as many circles as you can. Re-roll, then cut out more. Place rounds on lined baking sheet about 1" apart and bake for about 15 minutes. Let cool on pan for 5 minutes then transfer to a rack to cool.
To make the buttercream:
- In the bowl of a mixer, cream the butter then add 2 cups of the confectioners' sugar.
- Next add the peppermint extract and 1 tbsp of Land O Lakes® Buttercream Style Half & Half..
- Add another 1 1/2 cups confectioners' sugar and mix until smooth. Now add the red food coloring to color the buttercream a reddish/pink color.
- Pipe half the cookies with peppermint buttercream, top with other halves, and sprinkle with a bit of confectioners' sugar.
What are your favorite cookies to bake during the holiday time?
Will you try these Peppermint Shortbread Buttercream Sandwich Cookies?
Now, tell me in the comments..