*This Unicorn Cupcakes Recipe contains Amazon links. Please note, as an affiliate marketer for them, clicking and purchasing from these links results in me making a small commission from this action.
As a young girl, I truly loved unicorns. See I couldn’t have been more than 8 or 9. I was probably my close to my older daughter’s age. It was at this time that my dad went away on a business trip. Upon his return, he brought home a life sized unicorn stuffed animal. This unicorn even had pink hair/mane for this “pink girl”
Fast forward to recent years, both my girls also happen to love unicorns. So much so that on a recent mall shopping trip, they made me buy them unicorn hair bows. Well, they truly didn’t have to twist this once unicorn lover’s arm.
But still, these two are truly unicorn obsessed. They even asked me if I could make them unicorn cupcakes. Well, what was this unicorn loving mama to do.
That’s right, I totally gave in and made unicorn cupcakes. Because really how could I not comply with this simple unicorn loving wish?!Does your family love unicorns as much as mine? Then, you need to check out these kid and family friendly cupcakes inspired by unicorns!Click To Tweet
If you check out the recipe below, it looks harder than it really is. That’s because I include the cupcake baking. Honestly, you just need to get your favorite store bought cupcake mix. My girls usually ask for Funfetti, which I even use for cakes like this, too. Once the cupcakes are baked, then the fun part of decorating begins!
I happen to buy most if not all of my supplies from Amazon. Because Amazon Prime really does pay for itself!
So, see very easy to make. And truly fun to eat, too!
Want to make Unicorn Cupcakes for your unicorn loving kiddos?
Then, check out my step-by-step simple recipe tutorial below now:
Unicorn Cupcakes Recipe Tutorial
- 1/2 C. butter, softened to room temperature
- 2 eggs
- 1 C. granulated sugar
- 2 tsp. vanilla extract
- 2 tsp. baking powder
- 1/2 C. milk
- 1/8 C. Wilton multi-color sprinkles
- Pink gel food coloring
- Teal gel food coloring
- Purple gel food coloring
- 3 C. powdered sugar
- 1/3 C. butter, softened to room temperature
- 2 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1-2 tbsp. milk
- Multi-color cupcake liners, I used aqua, purple and bright pink
- Mini marshmallows
- Gold sprinkles
- Unicorn Horn Candy Icing Decoration, I found mine at Hobby Lobby
- Disposable piping bag
- Star frosting tip
- 3 large freezer storage bags
- Plastic wrap
- Kitchen scissors
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees and line a 12 count muffin tin with cupcake liners.
- Combine the 1/2 cup butter, 2 eggs, sugar, vanilla extract, baking powder and milk, mixing well.
- Add in 1/8 cup of multi-colored sprinkles and stir lightly to combine.
- Fill each cupcake about 3/4 full.
- Bake 18-20 minutes. Insert a toothpick around 18 minutes. If it comes out 'clean' the cupcakes are done.
- Remove from the oven and let cool completely prior to decorating.
- Once the cupcakes have cooled, combine the powdered sugar, 1/3 cup softened butter, vanilla extract and milk. Once the frosting has reached your desired consistency divide into 3 small dishes.
- Lay out a long piece of plastic wrap on the counter (you can always trim).
- Fill one freezer bag with one color of frosting. Snip the corner using the kitchen scissors Repeat step #10 with the other 2 frosting colors.
- Once all the frosting is lined up, gently roll the plastic wrap as shown in the photo. Place in the fridge a few minutes to firm up.
- Attach the star frosting tip to the disposable piping bag. Remove the frosting from the fridge. Cut in half if needed (mine was really long) and place the open end down into the frosting tip.
- Gently squeeze the frosting out of the bag and onto the cupcake in a circular motion.
- Repeat with all cupcakes.
- Give each cupcake a gold unicorn horn.
- Use the kitchen scissors to cut the mini marshmallows in half and dip the sticky side into the gold sprinkles for ears
There you have it an easy, kid friendly cupcakes recipes that is perfect for unicorn lovers with Unicorn Cupcakes!
Do your kids love unicorns as much as my own do?
Share with me in the comments…