Gas boilers are damaging the environment due to the carbon emissions they produce. The U.K. government aims to begin phasing out the installation of new natural gas boilers but hasn’t passed any laws yet. There will be a huge gap to fill as millions of U.K. households currently depend on gas boilers. The only way to cut down emissions is to replace gas boilers with alternative heating solutions. Here are three advantages of gas boiler alternatives.
1. Reduce your energy bills
Gas was always a cheap energy source per unit, but its prices have increased worldwide due to various factors. Making the switch to greener alternatives can minimize your home’s carbon footprint and save you money over the long term. Gas central heating has system losses across the pipe network and at the point of combustion.
- Modern electric radiators: Electricity is more efficient at the point of use. Every watt is converted into heat, and there is no wastage. Modern electric radiators are efficient, easy to install, and have smart controls. You can set programs to suit your schedule and avoid wastage. Low maintenance and running costs can more than makeup for high upfront costs. Best Electric Radiators, Haverland and Dimplex, are some popular that offer alternative heating systems U.K. More brands are following suit and popularizing the use of modern heating systems that are highly energy efficient.
- Heat pumps: The government offers grants to encourage people to use alternatives, such as heat pumps. They work by taking heat from the ground or air and transferring it indoors. It can be a large upfront investment to have one installed, but it could save money on bills, depending on how many years you live in your home.
- Biomass boilers: A biomass boiler does the same job as a gas boiler, but it uses logs, wood chips, and pellets to heat the home. This fuel is sustainable and carbon-neutral. If you have land and access to woods, it may be your best alternative to a gas boiler. Initial setup costs are steep, but your ongoing costs are minimal.
Prices are likely to drop as markets for green alternatives grow, and government grants and incentives can sweeten the deal.
2. Reduce carbon emissions
A sizable portion of greenhouse emissions comes from domestic energy use, and the U.K. government’s goal is to reach a target of net zero by 2050. This means householders are encouraged to change the way they heat their homes.
- Heat from electricity: Modern electric radiators use advanced technology today. They offer a highly controllable heating solution. When used with renewable energy technology, they can sustainably heat your home with minimal impact on the environment.
- Heat from the air or ground: Heat pumps use 100% renewable energy that comes from the air or the ground, so they are a great low-carbon option. Some air source pumps don’t operate as well in lower temperatures, so homes that use them need to be well insulated.
- Heat from the sun: Solar panels use the power of the sun to heat homes. Solar is a reliable form of renewable energy.
The government will give homeowners a grant to replace inefficient boilers with an eco-friendlier option. You need to meet certain criteria to qualify, and your boiler has to be at least eight years old.
3. Less maintenance
All gas boilers require regular service and maintenance. Having this done on an annual basis by a professional contractor is usually recommended.
Many alternative heat sources require less maintenance than a gas boiler. Electric radiators are easy to install and usually have a warranty of about five years, so they will cost you less to maintain.
Heat pumps are costly to install, but they can heat your home for twice as many years as a gas boiler. They have a lifespan of about 20 years and are also low maintenance, although this will depend on your particular system.
Installing solar panels is expensive, but again, they, too, require little maintenance. You can clean them once or twice a year, but as long as they are working properly, they don’t need any additional maintenance.
Three of the advantages of using alternatives to gas boilers are that they reduce energy bills, reduce carbon emissions, and require less maintenance. Whichever alternative heating you choose, taking into consideration greener, cleaner alternatives will ensure the sustainability of your heating system for years to come.