Cooler weather is heading our way now with summer ending here last week. The sun will indeed be setting earlier in the next few months here with it now being fall and soon winter.
So less sunlight hours truly affects the brightness in any home. during this time of the year
And if your home is already struggling to retain as much natural light as possible, you may be wondering how you can add more light and brightness to it.
Utilizing as much natural light a possible will indeed help brighten things up. See making the most of what natural light you have available in your home is key here.
I happen to work from home writing and creating clean responsive web design for clients. My home office is right off my living room area. Since my kids have indeed returned to school for the year now, I am working more and longer hours daily from this space. But we have dark walls and floors in my work space, yet the room is still quite and airy.
How were we able to achieve this?
The answer still might be escaping you, but will share some tips with you below now.
5 Tips on How to Add More Natural Light to Brighten Up Your Home:
- Mirrors – The more shiny surfaces, such as mirrors, you can add to a room, the lighter the appearance you will give. Mirrors can placed just about in any room to help with natural light. One suggestion though is to use thicker glass for the mirror you choose, as the thicker the glass the more reflective it will be adding the most amount of natural light as possible.
- Light Window Treatments – Heavy window treatments that are more opaque will allow the least of about of light into a room. Therefore, you want to use sheer or lighter fabrics also in light cream-like colors to allow the most amount of light to enter the room. If privacy is an issue, light colored shutters can be used to allow light to enter when need be still.
- Glass Doors/Roof Lanterns – Using glass in your doorways and even in your ceilings with glass doors and/or affordable slim-line roof lanterns will add more natural light. You can use frosted or tinted glass for a bit more privacy, but still allows light to stream through easily.
- Pendent Lighting Fixtures – These light fixtures can most certainly also add light and brighten already darker areas. Another tips if you use they types of lighting fixtures is to add brass fixtures to allow for for something shiny for light to reflect off of.
- Contrast Light with Dark – If you have darker walls, floors or even furniture, you want to break it up with lighter linens, cushions and/or rugs. The careful addition of lighter accents will soften and brighten up the area in question without destroying the overall mood.
These are just a few adjustments we made to help brighten up our living and my work space.
Now, tell me how you have added more natural light to your own home.
Want to Survive the Winter?
Subscribe to get our FREE Winter Survival Planner now.