Recently, my husband informed me that the newest intern lmt work was born in 1995. I fell silent at the plain shock of this ghastly and horrifying admission. See in 1995, I was a smart-mouthed, invincible 18 year old senior in high school. So, 40 was a lifetime away. Plus, forty was also a death sentence. Therefore, I wanted to hide from this frightening fact or stay forever 18. But I picked my almost middle-aged mom mouth off the floor. Then, I realized that I am almost 40. Plus, the 90s were another lifetime ago.
Yet this young intern, my own kids, or anyone pretty much under the age of 35 would be as Clueless as Cher Horowitz to the anger management, chair throwing Jerry Springer-like memories that sadly indicate that I am almost 40.
Are you almost 40, too? Well here are a few more things you can pretend not to know:
1. OJ Simpson became a household name with first captivating prime time audiences with the juice being loose in the infamous chase and then subsequently changing the face of daytime TV with the even more notorious trial with, “If the glove doesn’t fit, you must acquit!“.
2. 90210 found you were either Team Kelly or Team Brenda. See most teen girls coveted the newest James Dean clone or Dylan McKay. Plus, they wished to live like the rich and famous in the famous zip code.
3. Friends, we all wanted them. Why? Because they were there for us. Plus, girls all coveted the Rachel do. Simply because as Chandler would say, “Could it BE any better than that!“
4. TGIF meant Friday nights were for Full house’s with Stephanie Judith Tanner’s, “How Rude” and Eurkel’s, “Did I do that?”.
5. Seinfeld was solely the show about nothing with the best one liners, such as “The Master of Your Domain”, “I was in the pool”, “Shrinkage”, and “Yada, Yada, Yada!“, too.
6. Saturday morning, we were all Saved by the Bell with the Zach Attack, The Big Bopper, Richie Belding and got “Just that excited” with Jessie Spano.
7. The Simpsons were King with Bartman’s, “I Didn’t do it” and “Nobody better lay a finger on my butterfinger”.
8. South Park became a contender with whining, screeching Cartman and “OMG, They killed Kenny. You bastards!”
[clickToTweet tweet=”‘OMG, They killed Kenny. You bastards!’ + 9 more signs you are nearing 40!” quote=”‘OMG, They killed Kenny. You bastards!’ + 9 more signs you are nearing 40!”]
9. The Real World was where all Gen Xers wanted to live. Plus once upon a time ago chose between Pedro and Puck.
10. Beavis and Butthead did “America” with “I Am The Great Cornholio” and “Do you want teepee for your bunghole!”
But on second thought, just like Claire Dane’s, Angela Chase, this is still just, “My So-Called Life” at almost 40!
*This post was originally written for the One Word Blog Linkup that was hosted by Lisa of The Golden Spoons and yours truly, too.
*But also linkied up with Kristi for Finish the Sentence Friday for the sentence, “When it comes to death…”
*A version of this article has also appeared on The Huffington Post.
Want to Survive the Winter?
Subscribe to get our FREE Winter Survival Planner now.