*This Chalkboard Rice Krispie Treats Recipe contains Amazon links. Please note, as an affiliate marketer for them, clicking and purchasing from these links results in me making a small commission from this action.
I know more back-to-school here today on the blog. So, I already shared a fun back-to-school craft and tips for making back-to-school planning easier. But I would be remiss if I didn’t showcase at least one back-to-school recipe idea here on the blog, as well.
Therefore, that is what today’s blog post is indeed all about. Come on, you all should know by now I like my sweet treats no matter what time of the year it is. So, I don’t need much of an excuse to give new and fun seasonally-themed recipes a try. Plus, I am a sucker for Rice Krispie Treats. I have made them for many occasions here.
Therefore, it was high-time I made Rice Krispie Treats back to school style. I mean how could I not! I was shocked I hadn’t yet. So, it was most definitely time to remedy that situation.
Because Rice Krispie Treats make everything better!
I decided to make little Chalkboard Rice Krispie Treats. Ok, so I know that nowadays many schools don’t use chalkboards, but back-to-school will forever make me think of pencils, books, and chalkboards. Therefore, I couldn’t resist the chalkboard theme here.
Again, I used pre-made Rice Krispie Treats to start with for this one. But you can always make your own fresh if need be. From there, I decorated my Rice Krispie Treats with chocolate frosting colored with black food dye. Moreover, I used White Icing Gel to write on them to make the chalkboard letter effect with a white Good & Plenty Candy for the piece of chalk. I also added little red candy apple icings, but if you could always use red M&Ms, too.
These back-to-school Rice Krispie Treats are so easy to make. But also so fun to eat as a sweet treat to celebrate back-to-school.
Do you want to make them now, too?
Then, scroll down for the step-by-step recipe tutorial.
Chalkboard Rice Krispie Treats Recipe
- 16 ct box of Kellogg's Rice Krispie Treats
- 1 tub of chocolate frosting
- black food coloring gel
- Apple icings OR Red M&M's
- White Good & Plenty candies
- White Gel Icing
- Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Open the Rice Krispie Treats and discard the wrappers.
- Scoop the chocolate frosting into a bowl and add a few drops of black food coloring gel. Stir to combine until the frosting is black.
- Frost each Rice Krispie Treat. Use the spatula (or butter knife) to gently smooth the frosting by going back and forth across the top of the treat.
- Place on the baking sheet and repeat with all treats.
- Place the baking sheet in the fridge for 20 minutes to allow the frosting to set.
- Remove the baking sheet from the fridge and write ABC and 123 on top of the Rice Krispie Treats using the gel icing.
- Give each treat an 'apple' and one white Good & Plenty candy for 'chalk'.
Have your kids gone back to school yet?
Or do they go back soon?
Now, share with me in the comments.