Sometimes I admit with the hectic schedules that my husband and I lead, plus having two small girls I cheat when I cook just slightly, especially during this busy, crazy holiday time of the year when I am also having to shop until I drop for those perfect Christmas gifts for all on my list this year on top of everything else.
And I thought today I would share a complete meal where I do just that and quite possibly others who also have busy lives could this use a quick dinner and dessert to indeed benefit from it, too.
Along these lines, I have found that cooking with microwaves can mean so much more than merely removing a frozen ready meal from its packaging, piercing a film lid and heating it up.
Using a microwave when you cook can not only speed up the cooking process, but save on your energy bills, too.
Did you know that reheating up small portions of food uses up to seven times less energy than if you were reheating in a conventional fan assisted electric oven and up to fourteen times less energy than a conventional gas oven?
Boiling or steaming vegetables in a microwave for five minutes is also quicker and cheaper than using an oven or oven burners.
So, for a time and money saving method of cooking, take another look at microwaves and try the following two course meal, made entirely in the microwave oven now:
Microwave Spaghetti Bolognese:
- Mix 2 1/2 cups of lean minced beef into a microwave safe bowl with one chopped onion, one chopped carrot and a clove of garlic.
- Cover with cling film, cook for three minutes, remove, stir with fork and cook again for a further three minutes.
- Add a can of chopped tomatoes (14.1096 size), 3 1/2 cups of boiling water, a beef stock cube (or a cup of fresh beef broth), oregano and black pepper. Mix together, cook for seven minutes, remove, stir and cook for a further ten minutes.
- Remove the Bolognese and leave to stand. Put your pasta into a microwave safe bowl, add boiling water and cook in microwave for four minutes.
- Remove, stir and cook for a further four minutes.
- Leave to stand, cook for further two minutes if necessary. Drain excess water, add to the Bolognese and serve.
Recipe sourced from http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/microwave_spaghetti_44920
Hasty Chocolate Pudding:
- Whisk half a cup white sugar, one third of a cup of cocoa and three tablespoons of cornstarch together in a microwave safe bowl, adding the equivalent of two cups of cold milk as you go.
- Place in microwave and cook for three minutes on high. Stir, then cook at one minute intervals, stirring and cooking for two to four minutes. Stir in two teaspoons of vanilla extract when it is think and shiny.
- Place Clingfilm on top of the pudding to prevent skin from forming, chill in the refrigerator, then serve cold.
Recipe sourced from http://allrecipes.com/recipe/hasty-chocolate-pudding/
Hope you enjoy and try my simple microwave dinner and dessert meal soon!
Blogging Design Needs~Don’t forget to check out my web design company for specials running at J9 Designs for all your web design needs, plus we offer Paypal’s Bill Me Later, too! And also, check out a brand new Ask J9 Designs Article to help with your techy questions and don’t forget to ask your own techy questions, which may be featured in an upcoming blog article, too.
Please Visit my Sponsor of The Month:
One Click Is All It Takes!!
Want to Survive the Winter?
Subscribe to get our FREE Winter Survival Planner now.