Moving can be stressful but it becomes extremely challenging when you schedule your upcoming relocation during the pandemic. It has probably come to your attention how the novel coronavirus disease, also known as COVID-19, has put a stop to people’s everyday routines. From wearing a mask and social distancing to travel restrictions and home quarantines, moving during this trying time requires a lot of planning and preparation.
That said, you should ask your prospective moving company about the measures they’re taking to guarantee a safe relocation experience during the COVID-19 pandemic. For instance, you may ask for the company’s COVID-19 policy so you’ll know what to expect throughout the process. While most NYC moving companies can freely implement their own safety protocols, the following are the common measures you should look into when hiring one for your needs:
1. Hire Your Moving Company Carefully
Generally, moving to a new home amidst the COVID-19 outbreak around the world isn’t encouraged due to a higher risk of infection. But, if you really need to proceed with the process despite the health crisis, then, it’s important to hire a reliable long-distance moving company to streamline the transition without compromising everyone’s safety.
However, deciding to work with the professionals means you should take the appropriate measures to choose them carefully. While most of them understand the importance of protecting your belongings during the move, they may not be that prepared when it comes to ensuring your safety and health.
That said, you should ask your prospective moving company about the measures they’re taking to guarantee a safe relocation experience during the COVID-19 pandemic. For instance, you may ask for the company’s COVID-19 policy so you’ll know what to expect throughout the process. While most companies can freely implement their own safety protocols, the following are the common measures you should look into when hiring one for your needs:
- Observing federal and local guidelines about sanitization and social distancing;
- Offering virtual surveys to come up with moving estimates;
- Wearing masks, gloves, face shields, and even a full personal protective equipment
- Regular sanitization of trucks and moving equipment;
- Loading trucks with hand sanitizers or disinfectants.
2. Be Flexible About The Schedule Of Your Move
Due to the complications brought by COVID-19, you may find yourself postponing your relocation. This is especially true if you or anyone in your family isn’t feeling well. In such a case, you should be flexible about the schedule of your relocation.
For example, you should make sure the moving company you hire allows the rescheduling of your move-in date. Luckily, most movers Manhattan NYC or wherever you may be, will consider these unfortunate circumstances and do their best to accommodate your needs. All you have to do is contact them and explain the reasons why you can’t push through with the original date of relocation.
3. Clean As You Begin Packing
Packing is one of the most challenging aspects of moving. Therefore, if you’re moving during the pandemic, you need to be extra careful in packing up all your belongings for safety reasons. If possible, you should clean all your items as you pack to keep yourself safe against germs and viruses. So, essentially you move in move out cleaning.
For instance, you can use the relocation as your opportunity to clean and sanitize all your stuff by wiping them down with disinfectant. Be sure to do this cleaning measure before putting everything into your moving boxes. That way, you can rest knowing that all your items are sanitized during the move.
4. Practice Safety Protocols During The Moving Day
The moving day can be very stressful because it’s the time when the movers arrive for loading and unloading. But, just like other stages of your relocation, you should observe proper safety protocols to reduce the risk of COVID-19 infection. To make the big day safe and virus-free, follow these tips from the get-go:
- Use a non-contact method of greeting – Since physical contact is a great no during this pandemic, it’s important to make use of a non-contact method of greeting such as a smile. During this time, greeting with a smile can be the safest way to combat the disease and protect everyone involved in the process.
- Maintain a safe distance – In addition to a non-contact way of greeting, it’s also essential to keep a safe distance to ensure everyone’s safety. As your movers do the loading, be sure to observe social distancing and refrain from helping if it’s not necessary. If possible, keep your vulnerable family members in a separate area to avoid possible transmission.
- Wear a mask and a pair of gloves – For added protection against the coronavirus, you shouldn’t also forget to wear a mask and gloves on the relocation day. This is especially true if you have to talk to the movers about your possessions.
- Sanitize – If you’re not wearing gloves, then, it’s best to sanitize your hands from time to time to ensure safety. This can also help minimize the risk of getting yourself infected by the virus.
When it comes to your health and safety, it’s essential to uphold the standard pandemic rules throughout the moving process. After all, it’s always better to be safe than compromise everyone’s health.
Therefore, if you want to ensure a safe relocation, keep the tips mentioned above in mind and you’ll have nothing to worry about.