Here we go again with my kids off for a whole week and a half for this latest school vacation!
That’s right, my kids started their school vacation.
My pre-schooler had her regular 2 1/2 hour school day last Wednesday.
Followed by her older sister, who got out early for a half day at pretty much the same time as her sister on Wednesday, as well.
Then, it was game on for this mom to keep all entertained all day long.
My kids were bouncing off the walls wanting to play outdoors immediately. Even though the calendar says almost spring, mother nature had seemingly forgotten this piece of info as the temperatures even on that Sunny day was downright cold at the start of spring vacation.
They also couldn’t stop bouncing from all the sugary goodness sent home in my pre-schooler’s candy haul bag from the school Easter party–nice gesture and as much as I am not against giving my kids sweets this was overkill even for me.
This mom dreads these long school vacations, because it throws my whole schedule daily for one out the window.
Most know I work from home designing websites and tackling tech issues for website owners, as well as freelance write, too.
I rely on school days to get a good chunk of my work done, but during the prolonged school vacations, the beauty of my work day schedule goes right out the window.
Take this article for instance, I started, stopped and came back to more times than not and knew I needed to get my thoughts together for the One Word Blog Challenge for Wednesday morning, but my kids truly had another idea for me.
That is the beauty of school vacation time for moms like me that work from home.
There just is no escaping it.
But how have we embraced the beauty in school vacations?
1. Attempts to sleep in have all but been thwarted for this mama as the kids, who seem to battle me on school mornings to drag their lazy bums out of bed, are now suddenly up with the birds just because they can be!
[Tweet “#Moms will your kids let you sleep in on school vacations?”]
2. Thank god that Trix are indeed for kids as that damn bunny has saved me on these numerous, overtired mornings from having to actually cook breakfast for my little minions to be on a more relaxed morning schedule. Meal time, though in general, has been more or less all over the place with more snacking taking center stage for all.
[Tweet “Trix are for kids with school breakfasts”]
3. Wardrobe changes for wannabe princesses are just as abundant and plentiful, as if they are really and truly royalty from the first clothing selection of the day to the very last one, making for more unwanted laundry to pile up.
4. No matter how many toys that we have in duplicate, the fights are on and more tears have been shed so far over this than Tammy Faye Baker did in her prime.
5. iPad usage is on the rise and at the very least keeping this mom from pulling her hair (grays and all) out of her head to have even 5 minutes of peace and quiet during the spring rain showers.
[Tweet “iPads help keep this mom sane during school vacations”]
6. Yet, Mother Nature has taken some pity on us after the brutal winter she forced down our throats and has thankfully still given us time to enjoy some outdoor fun with some new bikes getting a proper workout. Spring might actually be here, which leads to the #7.
7. Since the temperature has rose above 50 degrees this past week, my kids seem to think that they can dress like it is now summer in the Caribbean channeling their best Bob Marley impressions by donning leggings/tights and baring legs for all that will look while hanging around the house.
[Tweet “Who wears short shorts on school vacations?”]
8. Spring cleaning commenced with winter boots/coats finally being put on ice for next year, with me wanting to throw a party to celebrate or at least crack open a bottle of wine!
9. Our calendars have been full to the brim with not being short on entertainment by any means to keep us quite busy, thankfully making the days go by quite fast even in the most crazy, whiny moments (these are plentiful as girls do whine best).
10. Bedtime, what bedtime? Even once they find their way to bed, my girls will have a gab feast complete with singing their favorite Frozen show tunes and more to make me feel like I am getting a nightly concert for free. Still, I wish this would tire them out to not still want to once again be up with the birds like #1 all over again tomorrow!
[Tweet “What bedtime on school vacations?”]
Yet, as much as I doth protest here so much, I love having my girls home with me still, because even after all the mayhem that can and most certainly will ensue, I feel blessed and lucky to have this time with them.
See someday as many have told me, I will indeed miss this time and long for it.
So that is folks, I am off enjoying the beauty in the rest of this current school vacation with my kids that I can, because I can and am lucky.
If you are a mom, who works from home, how do you deal with school vacations?
This post was originally written for the One Word Blog Linkup. The words for this week were: Beauty or Lucky.
*A version of this appears on Huffington Post with permission here.