Bringing your community together is more important than ever during these uncertain times. There are many that could use a helping hand right now, and by spreading positivity, you can help those around you feel more connected.
Doing kind things, even if they’re small, can help lift the spirits of people who may be going through a tough time. By welcoming the newest resident with a gift, helping the elderly out with their groceries, or just by saying a friendly hello, you can make your neighborhood a more inclusive place.
Here are some quarantine-friendly ways to welcome new people to your neighborhood or promote a sense of community with these acts of kindness.
1. Gift a House Plan
Make your neighbors’ day brighter with a new plant, like a cute succulent or fresh flowers. Decorate your gift with a fun plant tag — you can also give out packets of flower seeds for them to plant themselves!
2. Make a Homemade Candle
Get crafty and create some DIY candles that you can give to your neighbors. Here’s a quick and easy how-to:
- Melt soy candle wax in a double boiler for 10–15 minutes.
- Add your favorite essential oil scent to the wax once melted.
- Glue a wick to the bottom of your candle container and let it dry.
- Remove wax from the stove and let it cool slightly before pouring it into your heat-safe container.
- Pour in your wax and let sit for about four hours until the surface is firm.
- Cut down your wick so it’s half an inch from the surface of the candle.
Once your candle is complete, place it in a bag and tie it off with a gift tag! This will surely brighten your neighbor’s day.
3. Bake Homemade Cookies
There’s nothing like a batch of fresh homemade cookies! If you have a go-to recipe you love to use, make a big batch to share with your neighbors. Not only will your house smell great, but it will surely bring a smile to your neighbor’s face. Here’s an easy recipe for lemon cookies — a perfect treat for the upcoming warm months!
You will need:
- 1 box of lemon cake mix
- 2 eggs
- Juice and zest of half a lemon
- ⅓ cup vegetable oil
- Powdered sugar for dusting
Mix ingredients together and form into small balls. Then, sprinkle your cookies with powdered sugar and bake at 350℉ for 6 – 9 minutes. For the final touch, tie off your treat bag with one of these printable tags.
4. Write a Kind and Positive Note
Leave a kind and positivity note for one of your neighbors. This can be a sweet and simple message or a letter of encouragement! Surprise them by putting it on their door or in their mailbox.
5. Give a Treat to a Pet
If your neighbor has a sweet pup, surprise their pet with some delicious treats! You can either get some at the store or try a homemade recipe to make it extra special.
For homemade dog treats, you will need:
- ⅔ cup pumpkin puree
- ¼ cup peanut butter
- 2 eggs
- 3 cups whole wheat flour
- Blend these ingredients into a dough, roll out and cut out shapes using cookie cutters, and bake at 350℉ for 20–25 minutes! Tie off your treat bag with a tag and surprise their pet.
A genuine act of kindness always goes a long way. From baking cookies to gifting new houseplants, these neighborhood acts of kindness can bring your community together and spark inspiration for more kindness to go around.