Now almost 2 years later, this once girlie girl is finally getting over the shock of being a soccer mom.
Don’t get me wrong, I do my best to pay attention to my child playing in the moment. But still I sometimes get distracted by what is happening more on the sidelines. This includes how parents can treat their own kid, others kids, the coach, as well as other parents during a game. This is especially the case since my soccer player kid is still pretty young and not even in first grade yet.
Still, I have come across many different soccer mom reactions before. This also includes during and after the game in these last few years.
Thankfully for the most part, my daughter’s teams have had mostly laid back, model type parents.
[Tweet “Do your kids play #soccer ? What kind of soccer mom are you? #parenting #humor”]
But still couldn’t resist finding the humor in the types of soccer moms out there to bring the below quiz to all.
Whether you kid is just starting soccer or you are already a soccer mom, here is the quiz to find out which soccer mom you are…
A. Before the game:
1. You are the soccer mom that sets up all your gear near the other team parents. Also, makes sure to give your child the right amount of encouragement as your child joins their team. Plus, then you chat friendly with the other team parents before the actual game commences.
2. You are the soccer mom that sets your stuff up where you think all the action will. You also don’t bother making small talk with other parents. Nor do you even let your kid know that all that matter is that they have fun. But instead have a one track mind as you scan the field for any and all obstacles that may in the way of the team from winning at all costs.
3. You are the soccer mom that sits your self down where ever you find a free spot. You also get your phone out and stay on it for the entire warmup. Thus, making sure not to talk to any of the other teammates parents.
4. You are the soccer mom that as soon as you arrive, make sure to remind and show the coach (once again) the play book you have made for this game. You also let them know that you are available to take their place if need be. See you would be a better coach anyways. Therefore, your spot is next to the coach.
B. During the game:
1. You are the soccer mom that cheers at the appropriate times. You also never try to boo the other team even if they are winning. Plus, you make sure never to question a play, stay level headed and keep your cool at all times.
2. You are the soccer mom that cheers for your team. But sometimes a bit too loudly and emphatically to get your point across. I mean so be it if your last fan outburst made one of the kid’s on the opposing team fumble. Thus this made a soccer blunder embarrassing them in front of their friends and whole family. This was because your team is winning – that is all that matters.
3. Sports game, what game? You are having a fascinating time playing candy crush and texting your BFF at the same time. What can you say, but sports time multitasking at its finest!
4. You are the soccer mom that makes sure to still be standing next to the coach. This helps to give him pointers on how you believed that last play should have went. Really didn’t he appreciate all your hard work. And why isn’t he using your play book?!
C. After the game:
1. You are the soccer mom that makes sure your kid thanks the coach for all their hard work during the game. And then makes sure your kid knows how proud you are of their efforts during the game. Plus you do this before saying goodbye to the others kids and their parents until the next game day.
2. As long as your team won, then all is well in the world. Plus to hell with the kid on the other team who is crying over the earlier mistake that caused the team to lose. Now it is time to celebrate and be even louder than you were during the actual game. Why? Because winning again is where it is at.
3. Damn I wasn’t done with Candy Crush yet!
4. Ask the coach again if he has your number. Why? So you can give him a call to share some more pointers with him before the next game.
What Sports Parent Are You Answer Key:
The Model Supportive Soccer Mom.
This is the most common soccer mom. If you are this soccer mom, then you try to do what is right for the game, your child and the other kids (on both teams) overall. You sit back cheering when you have to. But also knows when to refrain from commenting so as not to upset the game or apple cart. You aren’t an angel, but still know right from wrong. Plus, you try your best to model the appropriate team playing behavior. This is before, during and after for your kid. Plus, you are all about stressing that it is all about having FUN.
The Competitive Critical Outspoken Mom.
You are the soccer mom that wants the TEAM to WIN at all cost This is even if it means that your comments, shouts and more negatively effect the game or your own child’s playing experience, as well as other kids on both teams game playing time. You truly don’t care who you hurt in the process with your words. Why? Because in your eyes all is fair in kid’s sports that is until someone does similar to your own kid. Then, watch as the claws come out and an all out brawl, too as the worst case scenario unfolds.
The Blaise Mom.
You are the soccer mom, who couldn’t care less. See while the model parent tries their best to keep the game all about good sportsmanship and the competitive parent can be outright rude. Then along comes the Blaise Soccer Mom, who is just downright ambivalent and ho hum about the whole game. You are neither supporting nor criticizing by just being there with your all is well mentality. You are the parent that has your head in the clouds at all times. Plus you will be doing anything, but actually watching the game unfold.
The Coach Parent
You are the soccer mom that isn’t the actual coach. But somehow thinks you should be and pretty much critical of all the moves the coach makes. Nothing the coach does is good enough for your own kid.
Why? Because quite simply the coach is for the team, not just your kid. This soccer mom might have a bit of the competitive parent in them. But is even worse, because the competitive parent is out for the TEAM to win. However, the coach parent is only in it for number uno one – your kid or so it would seem. But in reality, it is more about yourself.
Why? Because you may have played the game in your youth or might not of. But you are now trying to live through your own kid as you most likely didn’t live up to your own potential hype back in the day. So you are wanting and wishing your own kid would become the superstar athlete you only hoped you could have been.
So, which soccer mom are you?