“It’s A Mystery!”
My younger daughter loves to give me this answer to many of my questions, because Mickey Mouse (her favorite character) seems to say this quite often in his Clubhouse show on Disney Jr.
It is not even 12 noon on a Saturday morning and I have been up since pretty much before 7 am, made breakfast, dressed three people (myself plus my two girls), chauffeured my older daughter to soccer practice, fended off more temper tantrums than I can count and so much more.
Yet, as often as I wonder what happened to my Saturday mornings and feel like this is a mystery for Perry Mason to solve, clearly it doesn’t take a genius to figure out that life after having kids is a game changer on so many levels including what the weekend is like once kids enter the equation.
Yet, sometimes as much as I get it, I still am left shaking my head on how hectic and crazed my Saturday mornings can really get now.
Here is just a sampling of how different my Saturday mornings are After Kids (A.K.) versus Before Kids (B.K).
Weekends Mornings B.K.
- Sunrise is bedtime with the party just about ending now after the long night, so just getting to finally go to sleep right before the sun would rise.
- Breakfast? What breakfast as sleep and dreaming takes center stage?
- Currently 9 am and now pleasantly dreaming of a feast being made and served to me in bed.
- Last night’s clothes and bed head do just fine while I slumber.
- The day only begins at Noon, where I could leisurely and casually crawl out of bed still in last night’s outfit as my hangover is clearly coming into focus.
- Lunch becomes the new breakfast as I clearly missed breakfast by a long shot, which is minimalistic at best and probably includes leftover cold pizza.
Saturday Mornings A.K.
- Sunrise is now wakeup time as the party is only just about to begin for with the kids always waking right before sunrise, because even though they can sleep in with no school why would they!
- Breakfast includes pleas and threats of my two kids helping me make pancakes, which truly is what nightmares are made of!
- Pancakes are being eaten by my two deal making children of how many more pieces they need to consume for breakfast to be over, while syrup is now sticking to all surfaces, my kids included, as I clean up the actual pancake disaster prep staging area.
- The natives are now restless and I need to help pick out outfits for the day for both kids, as well as do their hair, before I can tend to getting myself dressed and run the brush (at the very least) through my hair.
- By noon, I now have done a day’s work between sunrise and the 6 hours or so that have followed, including our terrible no-good breakfast, the wardrobe and hair battles and some form of chauffeuring for errand running, extracurriculars and so much more.
- And now I am responsible for our second meal of the day and feeding us all lunch. God help me!
All I can say, is it Monday morning yet? And where is the school bus?
[Tweet “How has #saturday changed for you #moms #1Word #mystery @TheGoldenSpoons”]
This post was also written for the One Word Blog Linkup that is hosted by Lisa of The Golden Spoons and yours truly, too.
The words for this week are: Possible or Circle; Please feel free to linkup and join us this week.
[inlinkz_linkup id=567417 mode=1]
* Did you see how one dad took to making his stance known about Common Core? Check out my reaction to this and more on the education section on The Huffington Post.