For many dog owners, a dog collar may not have a lot of significance. But, generally, a lot of dog lovers also believe that a dog collar is a very essential piece in your dog’s wardrobe. Many dog owners choose to put a lot of thought into what type and design of a dog collar they want to get for their canine. Some choose to get something that is stylish or fashionable, while others choose something that is durable and will last long on your dog’s neck. Whatever type of collar you may be looking for, this guide is sure to help you pick the perfect collar for your dog.
Why does your dog need a collar?
A dog collar’s main function is to provide protection to your dog. Dog collars allow you to tie tags to them so that people can identify the owner of your dog in case they get lost. A dog collar also allows you to tie your dog with a leash in case they’re being mischievous and keep running away from you. Having a collar and leash on your dog is also very important when you are walking them so that they do not run away from you into the traffic and get into an accident or even to stop them from getting into a fight with other animals out there.
How to know the perfect collar size for your dog?
Before you head over to buy the perfect collar for your dog, it is very important for you to know what size will fit them best. A dog collar that is too tight can hurt your dog, and a collar that is too loose can result in your dog breaking away from your leash and probably get in trouble. You may use a flexible measuring tape for this task. Just wrap the measuring tape around your dog’s neck, the area should be between your dog’s ears and their collarbone, the place where they will be wearing the collar.
To know if your dog’s collar perfectly fits them or not, you can tie the collar on their neck and check if there is enough space to stick two fingers in between the collar and your dog’s neck. The collar should be loose enough to not strangle or choke your dog and also should be tight enough so that it does not slip over your dog’s head.
Type of collars that are available in the market:
Here are all the forms of collars that you can find in the market.
- Water-Proof Collars: If you live in a place where the climate tends to be wet, then you should choose a collar for your dog that is waterproof. Waterproof collars are not only ideal for wet climates but also for water sports. These collars tend to be easy to clean and also to keep them free of germs and dirt.
- Martingale Collars: Martingale Collars are safer versions of chain collars. These are also called training collars and they help you to keep your stubborn dog in line. Martingale Collars are very safe compared to chain collars and are easy on your dog’s neck. There are lesser chances of choking your best friend.
- LED Collars: LED collars are to be used if you like to take your dog out very early in the morning or late in the evening when it starts to get dark. These collars come with reflective strips that allow your dog to be more visible to passing by cars and pedestrians. This ensures your dog’s safety in the dark.
- Standard Collars: Standard collars are normal collars that you can buy for your dog. They usually do not have any special features on them and come in different variants, with different materials and buckles.
Materials you can choose for your dog’s belt:
It is very important that you take a good look at what material is used to make your dog’s collar. Here are a few materials mentioned and their perks.
- Leather Collars: Leather collars can be a great choice for your dog if you are looking to give them a leather gift. Leather dogs give off a very classic look while also being very durable. Leather collars tend to be more expensive compared to other materials as well.
- Nylon Collars: Nylon collars are another favorite material for dog owners mainly due to the different designs and colors they come in. Even though they look very attractive, nylon collars are hard to clean and get smelly over time. They are also less durable compared to other collars.
- Neoprene Collars: Neoprene is a rubbery material that is waterproof and is used in waterproof dog collars. They also have nylon webbing on them to reinforce the collar and make it stronger. Neoprene collars are more expensive compared to other materials.
- Chain Collars: Chain collars are only used when your dog is undergoing training. They possess a risk of choking your dog and can be really harmful to your dog if left unattended. They are used to train stubborn dogs and are extremely durable. If you are buying a chain collar for your dog you would need to buy a certain kind of leash if you plan on getting one.